Speed of export from WPTools

• I recently made a change to the way I do checkboxes in my WPRichText. Previously it was simply a wingding character that I looked for when the user clicks on the WPRichText. When this was the case, the PDF Export took no more than one or two seconds to export a long WPRichText to a PDF document.

The only thing I can think of is that I've changed these checkboxes to be hyperlinks, so I can trigger on hyperlink event to toggle the checkbox char instead. Now when I do a PDF export, it takes about 15 seconds to export the WPRichText to PDF.

A print preview of the doc before the export is fine and very quick of course... but then taking that same doc and exporting it is now very slow.

Is hyperlink conversion to PDF a rather intensive operation? I have something on the order of 160 hyperlinked checkboxes on a basic document... a lot more if users add additional ones.

If this is the case, I guess I'll take the time to strip out the hyperlink text objects that are checkboxes prior to PDF export since obviously they don't really need to be hyperlinks once exported to PDF.

If exporting hyperlinks is not the problem, then I have more detective work to do.

Please advise...

WPTools 5.18.5, wPDf 2.5.1, Delphi 7, WinXP Pro SP2

P.S. Oh... there was one other change... I upgraded from WPTools 5.17.4 to 5.18.5. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.

Eric

• FYI ...

I went through the exercise of removing all of the hyperlinks, and speed did not improve.

I then went back to 5.17.4, and speed was still slow. So I guess I have more detective work to do in order to figure out what else I added that suddenly caused a slow PDF export.

• FYI...

It was the hyperlinks added via "InputHyperlink" (all 200+ of them) which slowed it down significantly. Even going through and deleting the wpoobjHyperlink text objects prior to the export to PDF did not improve the speed.

Only when I replaced "InputHyperlink" with the psuedo-manual method using InsertNewObject of type wpobjHyperlink did the speed return to normal (2 or 3 seconds to export to PDF).

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

Hyperlinks are tricky because they can span multiple paragraphs. This requires an internal search for the hyperlink start/end to build the hyperlink area. But I would not expect that it would make such a big difference. But yo can alsways send me the WPT file you are exporting.

What really slows down the export is the embeddiong of fonts and images. Most of the time is taken by the compression.

Julian Ziersch