Problem with print spooled PDF created by WPCubed

• Greetings,

I am seeking assistance tracking the source of a behavior we've noticed with regards to the printing of a wPDF-sourced PDF file (which can be downloaded here http://download.yousendit.com/0720F2C773537E9E. As indicated in the screen-capture below, the PDF file in question was created using some form of wPDF, and at a mere 3 megabytes in size and 25 pages in length, it looks innocent enough. The PDF doesn't seem to be in color either. Given all this, we were quite shocked to see this document when printed spooled to well over 550MB. I got this screen capture when it was 3/4's of the way spooling.

The excess size effectively killed (a little bit of hyperbole there) our well-equipped, HP printer--turning the 70+ ppm speed demon into a 10- ppm sloth. Meanwhile, several other print jobs queued up behind it had to wait the extra two to three minutes to be printed.

Is there anything about the wPDF creation process that should/could cause a file of 3MB's to spool to such an enormous size, and is there anything that can be done to tame these beasts? We don't own wPDF ourselves, and we didn't create the document. We received it as a result of a materials request placed with another institution for a document they held in their library's collection.

Thanks much. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

I cannot help here - if you get this PDF files from an application frequently please contact the company which produced this application.

The reason for a rather small PDF file creating a huge spool file can be the excessive use of JPEG images. A JPEG of 100KB size can expand to 4MB or larger printing bitmap.

Often PDF files are large because they embed all fonts. You can check the font tab in the PDF info page.

Regards,

Julian Ziersch

• Zitat von wpsupport

if you get this PDF files from an application frequently please contact the company which produced this application.

As I indicated in my original post, WPCubed *is* the company that produced the application that created this PDF. This detail is also illustrated on the screenshot I included. The WPCubed Web site indicates this forum is one of two ways to get support; thus, I posted.

I also included a link to the PDF in question, which should have helped anyone with the right knowledge to ascertain if the file's root problem was the presence of JPEG elements or the embedding of too many fonts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

"As I indicated in my original post, WPCubed *is* the company that produced the application that created this PDF."

We sell a programming tool - that converts certain input data to certain output data. Depending on different settings you can get different output data from the same input data - and that setting is not included in the PDF itself or under our control.

Anyway, I downloaded the PDF (I didn't notice the link first since it is a virtual link) and as expected and it consists of 25 scanned images. The images are monchrome images images which are correctly embedded using the gray scale color space with 1 bit depth (no jpeg). They are "deflate" compressed which is ok. Our product did it 100% right.

When printed they should be converted into monchrome images as well, not RGB images.

The expected printer spool size would be around 25 MB

But if the print routine uses RGB images it would consume 633 MB. With CMYK it would be even more.

Regards,

Julian Ziersch