wPDF Security

• I'm trying to use wPDF to make secure PDF's. I set the OwnerPassword but leave the UserPassword empty and set Encryption to [wpEncryptFile, wpEnablePrinting]. There are two problems with the resulting PDF:

1) In Acrobat 4.0, "Save As" is not enabled so I cannot alter the security of the document in order to edit it.

2) Without security, wPDF generates a PDF where Acrobat 4.0 cannot edit text. Acrobat gives the error message "Touch-Up could not parse this page."

Are these known problems?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

in general: using an owner password and leaving the user password empty gives you zero security. This is unfortunate but it is like this. Some persons have published products and sources which do not care about passwords and edit or remove the owener 'password' from the PDF file.

So please use a user password. You can open the secured PDF file in WPViewPDF an pass the password to the component behind the scene.

Julian Ziersch

• Hi Julian,

Thanks for the reply. I tried the user password which does secure the document but I still have the two problems:

1) In Acrobat 4.0, "Save As" is not enabled so I cannot alter the security of the document in order to edit it.

2) With or without security, wPDF generates a PDF where Acrobat 4.0 cannot edit text. Acrobat gives the error message "Touch-Up could not parse this page."

We need 1) and 2) to work because we have a web application where many users get to view a PDF document but only a select few who know the owner password are allowed to edit the document.

Do you know if "Save As" should work and whether text can be editted?

Thanks.

Greg

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

1) - If you don't use security 'SaveAs' works? I think it is the idea of the security property to avoid editing it. Acrobat will not edit a document with an owner password. Did Acrobat promt for the owner password?

2) - I hear a newer version of 'Touch Up' solves this problem - apart from that I don't know whats wrong.

Julian

• Hi,

1) Yes, "Save As" is there if there is no security on the pdf but not enabled if there is security put on by wPDF. What is supposed to happen with security is that "Save As" is enabled and someone who knows the Owner password can save the document as a different filename with different security options (e.g., editting enabled). The user is prompted for the Owner password as they are doing the "Save As." This works fine using a document with security set by Acrobat 4.0 but not by wPDF.

2) What do you mean by a newer version of "Touch Up"? We have Acrobat 4.0 with update 2. Can "Touch Up" be upgraded for this?

Greg