Install WPTools on several Delphi versions

• My development pc has XE2 and also WPtools 7 installed on it.

Now I am in the process of purchasing XE7.

If I decide to keep both Delphi versions, is it possible to make separated copies of WPTools for each environment.

Do I need to change system path entries to do so?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

simply download WPTools 7.20 and install it. Select XE2 and XE7 and the setup will create WPTools\XE2 and WPTools\XE7 directories. Build and Install the package from the matching directory.

WPTools does not use runtime packages, so there is no trouble with system paths. Otherwise it is no problem to have several Delphi compilers sit side by side - I have here 14 Delphi IDEs on the same machine and next spring there will be one more ;-)

Julian

• Thanks for your info, too easy for what we are used to.

As this is my occupation for this week, i am interested in to know how do you do for having so much IDEs in one machine.

For what I am reading in serveral forums, there is a system path length limit, and the best solution that I have found is to delete all references to Delphi from the system path, and then execute rsvars.bat for the IDE you want to work with.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Its really easy, I have all the IDEs in C:\Borland (for historic reasons) and in directories named as D7, D2006 etc.

The path length limitation can be a problem, but you can create an environment variable which is used to replace part of the path, i.e. %BL% to replace C:\Borland to save some characters.

BTW: WPTools and the other components are shipped without BPLs (but with DPKs) because automatic installation will not work for BPLs, unless the registry is changed for all users. Since the setup process works with administrator rights, it will only change the registry for the administrator user account, which is not necessarily the user account the developer wants to work with.