Beiträge von jac2

I know I can sometimes do things the hard way, so just to check that this is the simplest way of doing this:

To concatenate an rtf onto another one, maintiain headings etc.
    Load up doc one.
    Select Last para (I would move the cursor to the end)
    Open the other rtf in another wprtf.
    Insert new section into 1st document.
    Read the body of the second into the first document, newly created section
    Read in the headers and footers into the section
    I'll have a go at this unless you tell me I am missing a simple command to do this.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply.

We have a number of letters that are a covering letter + a report and the covering letter has a header and footer and the report has a header and footer, both having different 1st page.

OK, so I will need to either
    1) make a GUI to handle this.
    2) Build something to concatenate separate files at print time
    3) Wait for you to add a fantastic feature :-)

Thanks again.
    Jason.

I read the docs about how to handle the different headers in sections in code, but is there any off the shelf editor support for this?

So in the default editor:
    Build a document
    Add headers (in our case first page and every page)
    add a section, Attempt to edit the header for the first section only and there are no options for this.

Thanks in advance,
    JAC

Hi,

Just downloaded, installed and compiled into my main app from V5, worked fine - thanks.

At the same time downloaded the help file, but on loading it up it appears to have no index - am I doing something wrong?
    TIA
    JAC

Things I have learnt today:
    1) Copying table rows without using the clipboard
    2) How the usedefEditor is compiled and how to make my own version of it
    Things I will learn tomorrow:
    1) Get more acquainted with the TParagraph

In both the editors "WPTools 5 Demo Wordprocessor" and "UseDefEditor", they have style dropdowns and they refer to a style <default>.

How do you edit this default?
    or say the default style for a document is style x?

I have tried going to a piece of text that says it is <default> Time New Roman ..., then select <edit style> but it goes to create a new style <newstyle>

I am going round in cirlces. I create a piece of text that has styles end to end and suddenly find there is a blank line with <default> Times New Roman as the selected font.

TIA
    JAC

I used to use UseDefEditor.exe - when things looked correct in there, then they rendered correctly when manipulated at runtime with WPTools and then viewed in Word.

Yesterday I was having problems with fonts changing from a styled Arial -> Times New Roman - I saw a post on the subject and that was solved.

But this was not before I had re-authored the document in Word and saved as an RTF.

So my question is what do people use?
    If word - are there any gotchas (I think I have one about 2nd page headers not showing)
    If another rtf editor - which and why
    If a standalone editor using WPTools, is the source available?

Long term I would like to offer a WPTools one to the user, that includes all the fields and codes I can offer from the systems, but at the moment no time.

TIA
    JAC

I have developer (organically) a syntax for choices, I am sure it is not the best way, but I am a WPTools novice and don't get much time on the tool.

We have letters with the following embedded into them
    <selection:name>
    <choice:name1>
    </choice:name1>
    <choice:name2>
    </choice:name2>
    </selection:name>

Currently the system searches for these first, i.e.
    <selection:*> then it looks for the closing </selection:whateverwasinthetop>
    It then selects this lot and puts it into another wpRTF and works on that.
    We then spit the result back into the main wprtf

So we don't use the mergFields part for this at all. Once we have all the choices out of the way, we mailmerge as before.

Sorry if this is a bit garbled, came across it as I am wrestling with my own if then else type dilemma.

Julian,
    I don't know if this is a common question, but my use case is this.
    My users use office (various versions) all day. They want to view documents I produce from the system in word, so I generate the document, save as RTF and then launch word wit the document.

It woudl be good to supply a component / unit as a free / no warrenty to convert an RTF to another type as long as the rtf and target are supported by some application (e.g. word). you could have a command that is invoked with a source and destination and it OLE's word to open and open the rtf and save as a doc.

Just a thought.

Regards and thanks for the excellent tool.

Hi,

I downloaded the latest V5 (5.48). I haven't installed as I need to do some testing etc before installing. I was looking for a what's new / what's changed. I found something in WP5_manuals.zip, but it stopped at Release 43. Would you say what has changed here or give me a link / pointer where to look.

Also in terms of 5 -> 6, is there a detailed list of changes and should I be able to drop in 6 to replace 5?

As always, I am hoping to use the product more in the future, it is just as soon as we get something "good enough", it is time to move on to something else.

Thanks.
    Jason

Hi Julian, it's been a while as they say. They have been using the system with the 32 letters I put in there, but I think we are about to have a big push at getting more letters / reports in.

One of the problems I have at the moment is back to the company logo at the top of the page. They actually use word to print the documents we produce and they may tweak the letter and re-save it, so the letter goes from 30K -> 300K (in fact 500K in office 2007).

You said:

Zitat

Yes, Word will store then PNG and another copy (hex encoded!) as BMP or metafile. But I think this also happens when using JEPG. There is no way to avoid this in Word as far as I know.

Do you have any further thoughts on that. Basically we:
    - take an RTF file produced in WPTools editor
    - include other files, all of which are from WPTools editor (one has logo and header)
    - save RTF file.
    - Launch in word
    - they normally just print and close, but often tweak / save it.

In a month we start doing print runs of 1500, so worse case scenario, the storage goes from 30 x 1500 = 43MB -> 732MB for that one run.

Do you have any ideas.
    Users are using a mix of Office 2003 / 2007.
    TIA.
    Jason

And another observation. If I produce a PNG'd rtf and open in word and then save it leaps from 30KB -> 226KB. This causes us another problem as once the letters are produced, they may be edited by the user and they would probably do that in Word.

Anyway, I think we are as far as we can get unless you have any other suggestions.

I can build all the templates using RTF & PNG. I can produce letters and save as small files. We will have to live with the fact that one of the printers will not be able to be used and that if the file is subsequently edited in Word it becomes 6 times larger.
    Regards,

OK, so I opened the champagne too early. The letters actually end up being saved and users open them in Word and often print them from there. I currently have 2 problems and a question:
    1) The JPG has "fluffy" edges, which I should have guessed would happen. So I will try the PNG. I have opted for the PNG only library from sourceforge. I use envision components that also handle PNG, but I am guessing
    2) Will Word handle the PNG format with the RTF extension?
    3) When we print to one of our big printers, we have to adjust the contrast in Word for the image. Normally to 51% from 50% - it stops a very light grey background. It must eb a bug in one of the printers driverset as it doesn't happen on the other printer. When I saved a JPG I got the same thing. Can you adjust the contrast with PNG's - my guess is they have no concept of contrast.

Regards,

Silly me, should have realised that.

I added COMPRESSBITMAPASJPEG to the project | Options | Conditional and now get a much better 15KB.

When I did the same for PNGIMG it obvioulsy wanted the units that I need to download from sourceforge etc.

I think JPG may be all we need (although I need to print out on their hi-res printers to ensure quality is OK).

What might be useful would be a demo, demonstrating how to enable these features (even though some of it is not a WPTools issue e.g. defines).

Also any tweaks to change the default compression of the JPG's.

So now I have my mailmerge tool that handles:
    - sections that can be optional / mandatory choices o-n, 1-n, n.
    - Includes
    - nested fields (e.g. <vatdescription> -> "VAT NUMBER:<subtrust>" -> "VAT NUMBER: 012589388"
    - Tables with n rows fileld from a query.

Thanks for your help and patience. Next is embedding fields that ask the user for input and save just the data that the user entered. I might do a talk for UKBug RE: what little I have learned about WPTools later in the year.
    Regards,

But the notes in the pas file say that if you add {$DEFNIE COMPRESSBITMAPASJPEG} then it will save them compressed.

The userdefEditor does not allow me to select a PNG, even if I change the filter. I changed the "acceptFiles" of the WPRichText to true.

The top of the project unit looks like:

If I drag a png, nothing gets pasted in, if I drag a text file, it works fine. So I am still doing something wrong?
    [/code]