Drawing error printing generated PDF file

• Hi, we are a licensed user of wPDF version 2.65 and are experiencing a problem generating a PDF. The PDF appears to be created successfully and is viewable without problems under Adobe Reader 7.0.8. But when we try to print it using that version of Adobe Reader, we receive the following errors when it attempts to print page 2:

"A drawing error occurred"

"The document could not be printed"

We are using wPDF200A.dll version 2.6.5.0, dated January 9, 2006 9:33 AM.

The application from which it is called is compiled with Delphi 2006 with Update 1.

We have found that we can print this PDF file with Adobe Reader 7.0.8 if we go to the Adobe Print dialog and select “Print as image” in the Advanced Print Setup dialog, but this is not really adequate for our customers.

We have also taken this same PDF file and found that it can be printed successfully with Adobe Reader 6.0 without selecting the “Print as image” option.

I can supply you with the problematic PDF file. Could you please let us know whether you can correct this error in wPDF and, if so, how long we will need to wait for a fix. We need to ship this version of our product soon and need to make a decision what to do about this problem.

Sincerely,

Jeff Prince
    Project Leader
    Profitstars
    1.402.431.8800 (voice)
    jprince@profitstar.com

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

please send me the file - the problem is probably connected to the postscript driver used by the printer you tested. It does not occur on a PCL printer, does it?

You can test a different FontMode - embedding all fonts can be saver than embedding subsets.

Does it also happen if you try to print a trivial PDF file with just one word or is it connected to graphic operations?

Julian

• Julian:

I have sent you the backing documentation for this problem to support@wptools.de.

We are seeing this problem printing with PCL, not PostScript. I am not sure if it occurs with PostScript.

It is definitely connected to graphic operations. If you look at the PDF I sent you, you'll see the problem occurs on printing page 2, which contains graphics and is beyond the margins (i.e., needs to be scaled).

• OK, thanks for looking at it.

I will have to find out whether it will be an acceptable circumvention to just rotate the problematic pages.

Are there any ways you can circumvent this problem in Adobe Reader in your code so that we can continue using these reports "as is"? If so, how involved would they be?