PDF Printing and stretching

• I have been using WPViewPDF to print PDFs and for the most part has been working fine, however my client has found that the edges of the documents are being truncated - only by a few mm but it's a problem (see below).

Looking through the documentation the STRETCH option looked to be what was required however if I set it to 1 or 2 I just get a "shrunk" version of the document approximately 75% of the correct size. If I set the STRETCH option to zero or leave it off I get a 100% version but just slightly too big - is there anyway of getting it to shrink to the printable area?

The amount of truncation seems to depend on the printer - my customer is losing quite a bit of the document whereas I am only seeing a few mm loss.

Many thanks,

Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

the problem here is, that most PDF files have enough margin to make it unnecessary to shring to the printable area. It would just add more margin.

In this case the PDF files seem to be created too large, with less mergin than required.

Do you setb the STRECTH parameter to 1 or 2. In Mode1 the physical width is used.

Julian

• Hi Julian,

I've tried the STRETCH parameter at both 1 and 2 and get the same result for each which is that the page prints (in it's entirety) but at approximately 75% scale so there's too much margin!

Chris

• Hi Julian - has there been any update on this issue as my client is not happy with the 75% reduction in print size when using STRETCH=2?

Many thanks,

Chris Rosser

• Hi,

I have implemented a work-around for my client which resolves the issue - basically instead of using the pdfPrint function I am exporting each page to a PNG and printing via the .NET API, resizing and rotating when appropriate.

The files I am working with are mostly scanned documents, however there is the occasional Distiller produced doc so using the COMPDF_PrintScannedDocuments command wasn't an option although it did resolve the issue with the truncating.

Feeling really good at getting a new release out to the client I happened to spot a fault with the rendering of the Distiller produced file - certain portions are not coming through correctly - columns aren't lining up and characters are not appearing in the correct positions. and extra spaces are appearing. I have a hunch that this is related to certain fonts within the doc, however I don't have any tools to disect the file to see what the font is. I can't send it though until I get permission from the end-client as it is potentially sensitive.

The fonts in use that Adobe Reader reports in the properties are

Arial
    Arial-BoldMT
    CourierNewPS-BoldMT
    TimesNewRomanPSMT

+ there are three non standard fonts (owned by the client) that are marked as Embedded Subset). The machines running my software will not have the non-standard fonts installed.

Other tools do seem to render these problem pages correctly so the fonts hunch may be incorrect.

Regards,

Chris

• Hi,

I am running with wPFDView02.dll at 2.53.2.1 which I believe to be the latest version and wp_type1ttf.dll at 2,3,5,1.

Cheers,

Chris