WpPagPrp dialog request

• Can you make the WpPagPrp dialog allow me to pass in the owner and set the dialog to position to poOwnerFormCenter? I know I can modify the code myself, but I would not want to have to update it each time I install a new WPTools update. :-D

Currently on a 4K 40 inch monitor with no scaling, the dialog is showing up in the top left corner... very far away from anything related.

Thanks,

Eric

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hm - I don't like poOwnerFormCenter so much either.

All the dialogs inherit from

TWPShadedForm = class(TWPLocalizeForm) in WPUtils

so you can add code to DoShow to adapt all dialogs according the requirements at a central location.

Technically you can do this using the event BeforeShow of the TWPToolsEnviroment class.

BTW - how is your FMX project doing? Happy with WPTools FMX?

• Hmm... How can you not like poOwnerFormCenter? ;)

When I click on a button on a dialog that launches another dialog, I really like having the pop-up dialog show up in basically the same context as the form I clicked the button on, i.e. where the user's eyes are focused. I even went so far as to make my own generic message dialog so that they show up in the user's view focus, not somewhere in the monitor's center like when my dialog is off to the right or left for example. IMHO, the popup dialog should be where the user's eyes are focused, just like a menu popup etc. Having a popup form show up on a 40 inch screen in the far top left is just, well, blah, IMHO.

For now, I just modified your dialog Position property to be poOwnerFormCenter. I just don't like to modify your code because then I have to makes notes as to what I changed and remember to make those same changes on each new WPTools update. So I try to convince you to make the changes in your code. I guess I was not very successful in this case ;) Sometimes I make a copy of one of your dialogs and add it to my project when I need to make significant changes since your dialogs don't change often anyway.

FWIW, your WPManageHeaderFooterDlg is much better as it at least shows up in the main form center which is where my dialog is most likely positioned anyway and which will popup the header/footer dialog at about where user's eyes are focused. I might still make it poOwnerFormCenter as well though since the user could have dragged the dialog somewhere else on the screen.

As for the FMX project... like you mentioned, sometimes motivation can be an issue when working alone. Over the holidays, I had a motivation problem and my main VCL project took a development hit. I'm now back on focus and should have it fairly completed by the end of this month. I'm so wanting to get started on the FMX project and see what we can provide on the MAC. You'll probably hear from me in the near future on that... and you might even get tired of me, lol!

• Hmmm... just noticed that even if I set it to poOwnerFormCenter, it continues to position it to main form center even if I create the TWPPagePropDlg in code. Better, but not sure why it is doing that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I check that before next update. What I don't like about poOwnerFormCenter is that the position should actually be persistent if the user has moved it. The provided events were meant to allow that. But it is possible that there something is wrong.

The Header/Footer dialog is different, it is non-modal.

According to FMX: I recommend to try WPTools FMX out as quickly as possible - - - I am also working on a FireMonkey project and I must say - FireMonkey is very mature now and the screen display is extremely fast. Only if developers are using it, it has future. So it needs our help.