Pen input on tablet issues

• Since moving from 5.20.2 to 5.20.5 I've noticed that if I use the handwriting recognition to input text into a WPRichText, the text is not visible until I manually click back into the WPRichText control. In 5.20.2, the text appeared automatically.

I have also noticed that in either version, handwriting recognition input does not trigger the OnChange event, but pen keyboard input does.

Simple to test... create a new form, slap a WPRichText onto it, add a ShowMessage in the OnChange event and then try handwriting recogntion input on a tablet. No text is shown yet the cursor moves the appropriate amount of space, and will display once the mouse is clicked onto the RichText. Also, the OnChange event doesn't trigger.

Rather urgent unfortunately!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

I assume the handwriting tool creates keyboard messages. Please insert a breakpoint in KeyPress and KeyDown (WPCtrMemo) to see what happens when you use that tool. I cannot reproduce since I don't own this kind of hardware.

Make sure you set the compiler symbol WPDEBUG in project options if you intend to place breakpoints.

Julian

• This might be a bit of a problem for me too since the tablet i have is not my development platform and only used for testing since our client base is quickly moving to those devices.

I'll try to help... and will install D7 etc on there if needed, but FYI, even your old WPTools 4 works fine. So you might want to think about what you do differently, and what you did between 5.20.2 and 5.20.5 that prevents the text from appearing. Like I said, it is there because you can see the cursor move, and does eventually show up once you click back on the WPRichText. In 5.20.2, the text always showed up... so what changed?

As for the "change" event, well... I'll see what I can find out.

• I emailed you a spy trace of all the window messages sent to the WPRichText control after writing "hello" and then hitting the insert button on the TabletPC handwriting recognition panel.

As you will see, it sends WM_IME based messages, including WM_IME_CHAR messages instead of WM_CHAR or WM_KEYUP/DOWN messages. If I use the popup keyboard, it does send the Keyup/down messages, but not when using the handwriting recognition.

Hope this helps!

• The same Problem today. Pen input is not possible with touchscreen. Disabling IMEINPUT breaks new code from TWPCustomRtfEdit.WndProc in WPTools 6.25.0. Check it please. You should find a way for both functions: Pen Input and IME Input. Eating the WM_IME_CHAR Messages could be wrong.