Fatal Error in VB 2005 Express

• Hi,

I keep getting a fatal error when developing in VB 2005 Express. The full text of the error is shown below. It normally occurs when running programmatically generated reports and normally on about the 5th - 6th time they are generated.

Any suggestions. Thanks Rob

Error Text:

The runtime has encountered a fatal error. The address of the error was at 0x79f96143, on thread 0x6a8. The error code is 0xc0000005. This error may be a bug in the CLR or in the unsafe or non-verifiable portions of user code. Common sources of this bug include user marshaling errors for COM-interop or PInvoke, which may corrupt the stack.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

Can you send me your project - or an excerpt?

Without any info it is har to say what is going on. You could try to remove some of the code, for example deactivate the FieldGetText event which fills the data into the fields.

Julian

• Julian,

I had a look around on the error message that was being generated and it is a common one for development in .NET. I haven't been able to find a reasonable solution (a lot written about the error but little about how to fix it), but I strongly suspect that it is more to do with accessing the SQL Server Express database where the data was coming from.

I compiled the project and installed on a clean machine and even after extensive testing the error hasn't occurred so it appears to only be a development issue anyway. So thanks for the help but I'm not going to worry about it.

Great tool by way. I have previously used a competitors word processing control and it was cheaper to buy yours outright then to buy the upgrade of the other. Yours also includes better features anyway. Value for money is what convinced me to change.

Rob

• Hi,

continuing the saga I have had with this issue - it also appeared in the compiled programs on other machines and was giving me real problems.

After successively removing things from the reporting form I have discovered that the error is caused by the use of the MainMenu control from .Net framework Version 1. The strange thing is that it happens only on the closure of the form.

After changing the menu to a MenuStrip control (from version 2) the issue has not reappeared. As a result I am in the process of writing a class which will generate most of the menu using a menu strip. When I get it finished I will send it through to Julian.

Hope this helps.