MS SQL - varbinary vs text

• According to the following http://wpcubed.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4920 we should be using varbinary as the field type for wptools data.

From the early days our fields were set as MS SQL Text data type. To date it has worked as we have only been saving text and not including images.

1) What are the downsides of leaving this as Text and not changing over to varbinary?

2) If we really need to switch from Text to VarBinary what will happen to the data if we simply change the data type. Will MS SQL have any issues with this? Or do you have a recommended way of switching existing data from Text data type to the varbinary data type... if we need to.

Thanks,

Greg

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

If it works, don't change it. It is a solution which is not required for all database servers. WPTools is quite independent to it, it just needs its RTF or WPT code in single byte buffers, not unicode strings. The formats WPT and RTF are in fact ASCI formats, only RTF also allows binary but never more than 1 byte per character.

So I do not have a universal answer for YOu - it really depends.

Julian

• Zitat von wpsupport

Hi,

If it works, don't change it. It is a solution which is not required for all database servers. WPTools is quite independent to it, it just needs its RTF or WPT code in single byte buffers, not unicode strings. The formats WPT and RTF are in fact ASCI formats, only RTF also allows binary but never more than 1 byte per character.

So I do not have a universal answer for YOu - it really depends.

Julian

I did find that I had to change to RTFnoBinary for the images to stay and not truncate text after it when using WPRichText. We had not really used images before until now.