pdfPrint and printer spool size

• I'm testing the pdfPrint to send a 1,500 page PDF (5.7MB) to a dummy HP printer (added to local LPT1). It took about 3 minutes and during the print, I see that the printer spool size gradually grows until it's 972MB.

Although this test is on the extreme side, it is within the possibility for our clients. I was wondering if others have observed the large spool size and whether there are issues out in the field?

Additionally, if I open this PDF file in Adobe Reader and send to the same dummy HP printer, it takes about the same amount of time but the spool size is only 513MB in comparison.

Should I be concerned by the 972MB spool size? We have tens of thousands of clients so we want to minimize any negative experience.

Thanks!

vinh.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Printing is using GDI+ - this unfortunately print all text always as outlines and creates rather large data. There are some settings to reduce the size, but if that works, also depends on the PDF, since the used fonts must exist on the system and the fonts may not be subsetted.