Stream reports to file?

• Does Wptools 5 cope with large reports which wont fit into memory? If a computer has 256 or even 512k, does WPtool5 try to compile it all in memory or can it stream to/from a file?
    ie If a report could have 2000 pages, can Wptools 5 yet save it to a file as it is generated, and read it in from a file stream, rather than having to load it all into memory, like other Word Processors/reporters?

I use a great component once called HyperString I think which coped with 5GB strings seamlessly by the use of temporary files.

• There are no chapter breaks in this large report. It may be a long, long list of facts and figures printed off for a hard-copy archive. For some of our customers this is required by law (financial reports). They may have 1 million transactions in a log to print off.

It is never known in advance when a record or group will finish neatly on the bottom of a page, in order to close the file and start another 'section'.

Besides, if you are suggesting perhaps generating lots of smaller files, then how do I do an RTF join to put them together into one reference file? Word, Corel etc can read in the large files (2Gb etc) but it would cause an administrative problem to find the required result if the reports was split into many files.

We need to be able reference pages - Would we be able to continue page numbering across files?

I suppose the bottom line is... does anyone have any example code of how to properly cope with large files?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

>> We need to be able reference pages - Would we be able to continue page numbering across files?

WPTools 4 can do it, 5 can do to - if you use you own code (event) to create the page number texts. (You can actually create any text here)

>> does anyone have any example code of how to properly cope with large files?

I don't think anybody uses it with a report of millions of entries.

Do the reports require stretching, I mean are the items splitted between pages. If not why not create page after page and make a big PDF file from it. That can have an index, too. If you use WPViewPDF you can display the created PDF file in your application - and WPViewPDF does NOT load the complete file in memory.

Julian Ziersch