• Sounds good, but when is version 3 to be expected?

We have urgent needs for this functionality and may have to switch to another PDF library to be able to deliver.

Maybe we can join your beta program?

Urgent feedback much appreciated.

/Jani

• Little Tip for anyone wanting to use unicode now rather than later.

This code works fine when you want to write Chinese in wpdf 2, but should work with any language by changing font.

Good Luck,

Richard Spurgeon :D

• I tried your code with some russian strings and RUSSIAN_CHARSET and failed with it. Latin characters in the widestring were displayed correct and kyrillic characters were omitted. On a Delphi canvas all characters are displayed with your method.
    Are there additional settings in the pdfPrinter necessary or what might be my fault?

Thanks
    Gunter

• Hi Gunter,

I have tested the below with some russian text and it works a treat. I have uploaded the resultant pdf file for you to see http://www.paramet.co.uk/test.pdf

I had to add wpExactTextPositioning to make the spacing right.

ws := '';
    ws := tntedit1.text;
    pdf.Modes := pdf.Modes + [wpExactTextPositioning];
    pdf.filename := 'c:\test.pdf';
    pdf.BeginDoc;
    pdf.StartPage(Round(8.3 * Screen.PixelsPerInch),Round(11.67 * Screen.PixelsPerInch),Screen.PixelsPerInch,Screen.PixelsPerInch,0);
    with pdf.Canvas do begin
    Font.Name := '@Arial';
    Font.Charset := RUSSIAN_CHARSET;
    Font.size := 12;
    TextOutW(Handle,62,32,PWideChar(ws),Length(ws));
    end;
    pdf.EndPage;
    pdf.EndDoc;

Kind Regards,

Richard Spurgeon

• Hi Richard,

thanks a lot for your fast amd extensive answer. The main difference seems to be the character '@' in the

font.name:='@Arial',

which yields to the exception 'Cannot load font data' on my PC. So I tried 'Arial' and 'Arial Unicode MS' as fontname but without success as before.
    Can you tell me the meaning of the @ (Google wasn't very helpful for this)?

Kind regards,
    Gunter

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

I think the @ is used by the chinese font. Didn't see @Arial so far.

It is true that wPDF 2 supports chinese and japanese. It also supports Russian, Greek and East Europe charsets.

The most important part of the example code is:
    Font.Charset := GB2312_CHARSET;

or
    Font.Charset := RUSSIAN_CHARSET;

That is required for wPDF to select the correct charset in the PDF file.

wPDF 2 also includes unicode support for the outlines.

Julian

• Hi,

now I know what was my mistake. I viewed the results of wPDF with the Acrobat Reader 5.0, which omitted the kyrillic characters. In WPviewPDF everything is ok.
    Thank you very much, that was extremly helpful for me.

Gunter

• Hi Gunther,

Glad to hear you got it working... I remember having the same problem in Abode Acrobat 5. I found that adobe acrobat 6 and 7 work fine.

I think, but dont quote me on it, that the @ symbol means font alias. I have tried searching myself but it seems google and altavista dont allow you to search for the @ character.

Kind Regards,

Richard Spurgeon.