Unnecessary page breaks after each page

• It is seems to be a very dummy question, but I cannot find a solution for it.

When I build a report with WPSuperMerge it creates an empty page after almost every page containing data. It looks like it happens if the group is not finished on the page.
    The property IgnorePageHeight = true solves the problem, but I need it to be false :-(

I created a very simple test program

The document contain just one group and one field between it.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help will very be appreciated.

• I've been waiting on Julian to resolve this issue since last August. It's been holding up a release of our product because our report generator no longer works. I'm hoping he's made some progress, but I haven't heard anything from him since October/November timeframe. I even bought the full source to the RTF engine in the hopes that the extra cash would be incentive for him to fix it. Unfortunately, although I have a general idea of where the problem is (and don't think it's in the engine anyway), the code isn't well documented, so I don't quite know what everything is doing. If you discover a solution, I'd really welcome the info. This bug didn't exist in V3.X.

(Note that it IS possible to completely turn off the report merge page breaks, which eliminates the unwanted breaks, but results in tables spanning pages without headers, etc. It also breaks our page counting during a merge that's used to put special labels in, etc. As far as the merger is concerned, it's all just one big page.)

Sincerely,

Dr. Michael D. Foegelle

• Offizieller Beitrag

In case using the property IgnorePageHeight set to TRUE is no option for you because you need hard page breaks in the created text please try to make sure that
    a) the line count inside tables cells is the same in the template as in the report
    b) spacing before and after is not used (although the engine handles it it seems to confuse it too)
    c) if you use a selection out of multiple footers please note that the engine will use the largest height

I have just run a test using the simulation in the wpdemo application and the pagebreaks were not incorrect.

If there is a small difference in the text height this can cause a page break.

Julian

• Offizieller Beitrag

Dear Mr. Foegelle,

the last of your e-mails I have here states "I'll take a look and see what works best for our application" - you answer (6.11.2003) makes me beleive you need WPSuperMerge to create multiple page long tables and this certainly works alright with IgnorePageHeight set to true.

The WPSuperMerge code uses different approaches to check for page breaks:
    a) Height of table row prior to insertion of data
    b) "GoBack" strategy if the text happens to not fit
    c) text break while copying the text - this does not work within tables

I see no bug in the code which test the height - looked through 100 times -

Sincerely, Julian Ziersch

• Julian, please refer to the thread on November 7th of "Page End Problem with Supermerge". The last post there was the exact same problem that started this thread. The problem is NOT with splitting tables, but with everything else.

Quoted from my last post that I never received a response to:
    "On further inspection, the problem appears to be more than just a dangling line. It appears that WPMerge can't split a paragraph across pages. Thus, if I create a two-page source document with two paragraphs, the first of which is longer than a page, then after the merge I end up with a three-page document that puts a forced page break after the first paragraph, and a soft page break in the middle of that paragraph. Thus, the rest of page two is blank after the first paragraph and the second paragraph (which fit on page two in the source) ends up on page three. Again, any suggestions would be appreciated. "

This is the disastrous problem that makes my whole report generator useless. Even if I try to manually break each page in my report template and put them in separate bands, I still end up with extra pages and screwed up formatting. Needless to say, my bosses aren't happy, and I'm having to start looking for other solutions. Again, any help in resolving this problem is short order would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

At

I posted an example program to reproduce this and other problems.

I was able to fix your problem - thanks for the clarification - due to a change in the code the inserted RTF text was indeed not stretched any more.

I'll make the necessary change available in V4.22

Note: Please make sure the OnBeginGroup event gets a proper value for 'IsLastRun'. This should be set to FALSE unless it is the last run in this level.

Julian Ziersch

• Hello Julian,

Thanks for you response, but I didn't understand. Could this be fixed by code of my application, or I have to wait for 4.22. If so when is it expected?

In my test application I posted here, OnBeginGroup event always gets a proper value for 'IsLastRun'. The report itself doesn't contain any headers or footers.

If you need it for debug purposes, I can send it to you.

Thanks
    Vitaly Gamarnik

• YAY! It's ALMOST perfect! The only problem I'm encountering now is that occasionally a soft page break occurs in the report causing the last line of a paragraph to wrap to the next page. In some respects it looks similar to what I started chasing originally. I suspect this is a minor tweak to resolve this one (I know you already have some sort of safety distance check in there). I almost need the ability to just turn off the soft page breaks once a report has been generated. Is that a possibility? Again, thanks for your help and any additional suggestions.

Sincerely,

Dr. Michael D. Foegelle