Support for MS Word

• Documents created with WPTools open quite well in MS Word, since they are RTF. I was wondering if there is any plan to provide export or saving in native DOC format?

• Hi,

>>Documents created with WPTools open quite well in MS Word, since they are RTF. I was wondering if there is any plan to provide export or saving in native DOC format?<<

There are no plans to create a DOC exporter, an import tool however is planned in the long run. There definitely is interest.

Julian

• >There are no plans to create a DOC exporter, an import tool however is planned in the long run.

I find it strange that there is interest in importing but not exporting. I would think that anyone interested in opening word docs would also be interested in creating them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

>> I find it strange that there is interest in importing but not exporting. I would think that anyone interested in opening word docs would also be interested in creating them.<<

Word will open RTF very nicely. If the RTF has been renamed to *.DOC it will still open it.
    In early times RTF became huge as soon as an image was embedded since all images had to be encoded as BMP and hex encoded. In the meantime images can be embedded as JPEG, as binary. So the file size does not increaese as much.
    So there is actually no benefit in creating DOC format since something like makros won't be supported anyway.

Julian

• Hi Julian,
    Clients that use my WP Tools application are required to import their existing MS Word documents the application. If there is no import function in version 5, I simply can't sell my application.

That said, it is also very important that a client be able to export their WP Tools documents back into an MS Word format. i.e. I must be able to show a client that they can use my application and then switch back to using MS Word if they don't like it, without any impact to their documents.

When will the import feature be available. This is very important.

Thank-you,
    David Reid