tracking changed text

• this is kind of a long shot, but just wondering if something like this may be possible.

My users work with templates that have mergefields that I populate automatically(all made with wptools). Then they type into the template and it gets saved as a new document to a database.

The way it's setup now, before starting a new document, the user selects a template and then we fill in the variables/mergefields so they have the template with mergefields filled in, and then they can type.

However, sometimes they need to change templates after they've started typing. So, I have to clear the current document and load the new template. This obviously nukes all the text, but at least I can keep the mergefields(tied to variables) and fill them in if the same mergefields exist in the new template.

I'm wondering if there is a way to track what text they've added to the template, and possibly copy that new text into the new template. The only option they have now is to copy the text before they change, and then paste it into the new document. One issue is that all templates are pretty different. Some have just miscellaneous titles, and some have complete paragraphs of text.

Is there any way to work something like this, or is it just my wishfull thinking?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

In WPTools Standard changes to the docs are not higlighted. (This may be a future feature of 'Premium') so no help from this side.

You could compare the paragraphs in the old and the new text and if they are the same copy the changed version of the new - but I doubt this will do anything good.

Julian