WPTools V6: Planned Feature List

• Here are some thing that I think to be interesting to version 6.

- Borders definitions in Styles
    - Textboxes in Header / Footer
    - Character Spacing (like MSWord)
    - Text Comparation
    - Track Changes
    - Highlight (like MSWord)
    - Better handling of copy/paste from applications like OpenOffice, Mozilla Firefox (Unicode text)
    - Bullets and Numbering (Better compatibility with MSWord)
    - Form Fields (TextBoxes, ComboBoxes and CheckBoxes) compatible with MSWord.
    - Extend Selection State (like F8 in MSWord)

Alessandro Fragnani

• Hi,

We are using WPTools version 5 together with OLE objects and it works. Julian wrote some time ago in this forum informations needed for OLE objects embedding and it works.

I can post some code snippets, if you need.

Petr.

• It would be interesting to se your code snippets.

Are you able to embed for instance Microsoft word art or excel spreadsheet in a document? Do they print with the rest of the document?

• My guess is this (the code snipppets) would be of interest to quite a few WPTools 5 users... it opens up possibilities not necessarily available otherwise - such as the embedding of Word Art you mention, or some of the Microsoft Charting abilities.

Regards,
    richard diamond

• Looking very good Julian,

Better HTML rendering is of great interest to me, since i use WpTools for generating HTML and not very long ago for displaying HTML email as well.I had to switch to another component for displaying email because some received emails did not work very well in WpTools.

If those emails will be generated better in WpTools 6 then i will definitely consider upgrading. So i suppose my question is: will there be a demo available and can you give an estimate on when this will be available?

• As for a new feature, how about being able to set the visual width for input fields.

For example to create an input field that doesn't contain text between it's starting and ending markers but would have a default width, just like when you fill-out a paper document.

For example:

Code
    +------------+               +------------+
    What is your first name  |            | and last name |            |
                             +------------+               +------------+

It would also be great if you could specify the maximum text length that the user can enter.

See this post for more information: http://wpcubed.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2821&highlight=

• It would also be nice if the default editor toolbar would have multiple skins (f.e. standard, flat, Office 2003, Office 2007). That way it will be easier to integrate the toolbar into the lay-out (theme) of the enduser application.

• (Julian, if this is off-topic, or felt inappropriate, please delete it. My feelings won't be hurt!)

Frank,

Pardon my stepping into the middle of this, but have you had the opportunity to look into the product VCLSkin? Unless you have a lot of vested interest, time, money, and code into Developer Express Skins Library, you might want to check VCLSkin out!

Like WPTools, it's a native Delphi app, and comes with source code (although I've only had to make one change to it, ever).

I'd researched a number of skinners (including, of course, TBX). It allows you to skin your application(s) with almost NO changes to it - other than dropping its component into your app.

I've used it for a few years quite happily, and the guy definitely keeps the product current, and addresses any problems brought up. He also makes available, at no cost, additional skins from time to time (as well as giving you an editor that lets you create your own, or tweak existing ones). It's not expensive at all.

Regards,
    richard diamond

p.s. AND NO, I have ZERO connection with that company, its product, or the developer!!!

• Julian,
    Hope it is clear, that we can`t to use your products in our new applications,
    if you don`t provide a opportunity for skins support.
    (How it has to be done - that is another question).
    That is related not only to WPTools, but to TextDynamic .NET also.

That is very important for new projects. We have several new projects in development (One in Delphi Win32 and two in C# .Net 2.0). In both projects we are using DevExpress controls with skins. And we can`t to use your products because they don`t support any skinning. But we would like to use them (WPTolos and TextDynamic .NET).
    I hope that you clearly understand the problem and provide a solution ASAP.

Brgs,
    Konstantin

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

Zitat

Hope it is clear, that we can`t to use your products in our new applications, if you don`t provide a opportunity for skins support.
    (How it has to be done - that is another question).

WPTools always supported external scrollbars. So you can "skin" the only element which is crucial for the editor to work. Due to Action support you can use a 3rd party toolbar.

Julian